Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife is one of three Universities established in Nigeria between 1961 and 1962 as a result of the report submitted to the Federal Government in September 1960, by a Commission it appointed in April 1959 under the Chairmanship of Sir Eric Ashby, Master of Clare College, Cambridge, to survey the needs of post-secondary and higher education in Nigeria over the next twenty years. On 8th June 1961, the Law provides for the establishment of the Provisional Council of the University was formally inaugurated under the Chairmanship of Chief Rotimi Williams.
On 11th June 1970, an Edict known as the University of Ife edict, 1970 was promulgated by the Government of the Western State to replace the Provisional Council Law of 8th June 1961. This Edict has since been amended by the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (Amended) Edict No. 112 of 1975 (Transitional Provisions) Decree No.
23 of 1975. This new Decree effected a takeover of the Obafemi Awolowo University by the Federal Military Government and established a Provisional Council as an interim governing body of the University which shall subject to the general direction of the Head of the Federal Government, control the policies and finances of the University and manage its affairs. This Provisional Council has since been replaced by a Governing Council.
The University started with five Faculties – Agriculture, Arts, Economics and Social studies (now Social Sciences), Law and Science. Six new Faculties have since been added, namely the Faculty of Education (established on 1st October, 1967), the Faculty of Pharmacy (established on 1st October, 1969), the Faculties of Technology and Health Sciences (now College of Health Sciences) (both established on 1st October, 1960), Faculty of Administration with effect from 1st October 1979) and Faculty of Environmental Design and Management (established on April 6, 1982).
In 1992, the University established a collegiate system with five Colleges. The system did not function effectively and was abandoned after two years. However, the Postgraduate College and the College of Health Sciences were retained. The College of Health Sciences now comprises of the Faculties of Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences and Dentistry.
The following other Institutes and major units exist in the University:
- The Adeyemi College of Education located in Ondo
- The Institute of Agricultural Research and Training, Ibadan The Natural History Museum
- The Institute of Ecology and Environmental Studies The Centre for Gender and Social Policy Studies
- The Centre for Industrial Research and Development The Institute of Public Health
- The Institute of Cultural Studies
- The Technology Planning and Development Unit The Computer Centre
- The Drug Research and Production Unit
- The Equipment Maintenance and Development Centre The Central Technological Laboratory Workshop
- The Central Science Laboratory The Distance Learning Centre
Finally, some other agencies over which the University has no direct, or, in some cases limited control, have premises within the University.
- The Regional Centre for Training in Aerospace Surveys
- The National central for Technology Management
- The Centre for Energy Research and Development
The African Regional Centre for Space Science and Education in English. The student population has risen steadily from 244 in 1962/63 to over 30,000 at present.
Missions, visions and objectives of this University
To nurture a teaching and learning community; advance frontiers of knowledge; engender a sense of selfless public service; and add value to African culture.
A top-rated university in Africa.
- To produce graduates of international standard, with appropriate knowledge and skills in their field of study, who will be highly employable and able to employ themselves.
- To provide high-quality research and development activities that will promote the development of the Nation and enhance the image of the University and the researchers.
- To harness modern technology, especially ICT and modern social, economic and financial strategies to run a cost of the efficient and effective academic programme and institutional management.
- To provide services that have relevance to and impact on the local community and the Nation.
- To provide conditions of study, work and living in the University Community that is of an appropriate standard.
- To expand access to tertiary education in the face of unmet demand.
- To operate as an equal opportunity educational institution, sensitive to the principle of gender equity and non-discriminatory on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion or physical disability
The Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Faculties and departments
- International Relations
- Local Government and Development Studies
- Management and Accounting
- Public Administration
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Animal Sciences
- Crop Production and Protection
- Family, Nutrition & Consumer Sciences
- Plant Science
- Soil Science
- Adult Education and Lifelong Learning
- Arts and Social Sciences Education
- Educational Foundation and Counseling
- Educational Management
- Educational Foundations and Counseling
- Science and Technology Education
- Physical and Health Education
Faculty of Environmental Design & Management
- Estate Management
- Fine and Applied Arts
- Quantity Surveying
- Urban and Regional Planning
Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Anatomy and Cell Biology
- Chemical Pathology
- Haematology and Immunology
- Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
- Medical Rehabilitation
- Medical Biochemistry
- Medical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Nursing Science
- Physiological Sciences
- Community Health and Nutrition
- Dermatology and Venerology
- Mental Health
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Perimatology
- Orthopaedics and Traumatology
- Paediatrics and Child Health
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Child Dental Health
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Oral
- Preventive and Community Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry
Faculty of Pharmacy
- Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration
- Drug Research and Production Unit
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Faculty of Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Food Science and Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Agricultural and Environmental Engineering
- Demography and Social Statistics
- Political Science
- Sociology and Anthropology
[email protected] | [email protected] | [email protected]