In English, we have both regular and irregular verbs. Here today, we are sharing a list of some English irregular verbs. This list constitutes 616 different irregular verbs.
A verb is a word that expresses an action or a state of being. As you can see from that definition, there are two main categories of verbs: action verbs and state of being verbs (also known as linking verbs).
Along with nouns, verbs are the main part of a sentence or phrase, telling a story about what is taking place. In fact, without a verb, full thoughts can’t be properly conveyed, and even the simplest sentences.
We won’t be expalining to you what a verbe is an the different types or kinds of verbs here. What we are interested in are the irregualar verbs.
In grammar, tense is a category that expresses time reference. Tenses are usually manifested by the use of specific forms of verbs, particularly in their conjugation patterns.
Verbs come in different tenses. The common ones being the past, present, and future. The past is used to describe things that have already happened.
The present tense is used to describe things that are happening right now, or things that are continuous. The future tense describes things that have yet to happen (e.g., later, tomorrow, next week, next year, three years from now).
During the conjuagtion of verbs in the Simple past tense, some verbes(the majority) will always take a typical pattern whereasn a handful will not.
These two sets of verbs are termed Regular and irregular verbs respectively.
Regular and Irregular verbs
A regular verb is any verb whose conjugation follows the typical pattern, or one of the typical patterns, of the language to which it belongs. A verb whose conjugation follows a different pattern is called an irregular verb.
All verbs have a base form or ‘infinitive’ (for example, look, make, play). The majority of verbs, called ‘Regular verbs’, follow the same pattern and create the past simple and the past participle using the same word ending, -ed. There are, however, verbs that have different endings, and these are called ‘Irregular verbs.’
An irregular verb is one that does not form its simple past tense or its past participle by adding “-ed” or “-d” to the base form. Irregular verbs contrast with regular verbs, which form the simple past tense and past participle by adding “-ed” or “-d.”
List of some English irregular verbs
List of 616 English irregular verbs PDF
- Concours ENSAI de Ngaoundéré 2021-2022
- Arrêté Concours IUT de l’Université de Douala 2021-2022
- UIT Competitive examinations 2021-2020
- ENSAI 2021-2022 Competitive Entrance Examination
- Concours ESSEC de l’Université de Douala 2021-2022
- ESSEC Competitive entrance examination 2021-2022
- National Competitive Internship Examination 2021-2022
- National qualifying examination for medical training in Cameroon2021-2022
- Examen National d’Internat au Cameroun 2021-2022
- Examen National d’Aptitude à la Formation Médicale au Cameroun 2021-2022
- Examen National de Synthèse Clinique et Thérapeutique de la Formation Médicale 2021-2022
- Concours ENS Bertoua 2021-2022 1st and 2nd cycles
- Arrêté Concours ENS de Maroua 2021 1ère année du 2nd Cycle
- Concours ENSET Ebolowa 2021-2021 1st & 2nd cycles
- Arrêté ENS de Bertoua 2021-2022 1ère Année Du 1ère Cycle
- Arrêté Concours ENSET d’Ebolowa 2021-2022 1ère année du 2nd cycle
- Arrêté Concours ENSET d’Ebolowa 2021-2022 1ère année du 1er cycle
- Arrêté Concours ENSET 2021-2022 1ère année du 2nd cycle.
- HTTTC ENSET Kumba Entrance Exam 2021-2022 Year One 1st Cycle
- Arrêté Concours ENSET Kumba 2021 -2022 1ère année du 2nd cycle.
- Calendrier officiel des concours au Cameroun 2021-2022
- Concours NASLA de Buea 2021-2022
- Concours EAMAC Session 2021 -2022
- Arrêté ENS Bambili 2021-2022 1er année 1er cycle
- HTTC ENS Bambili Entrance Exam 2021-2022 year one First Cycle
- HTTTC ENSET Kumba Entrance Exam 2021-2022 Year One 2nd Cycle
- Arrêté Concours ENSET Kumba 2021-2022 1ère année du 1er cycle
- ARRÊTÉS Concours ENS Yaoundé 2021 1ère Année du 1ère cycle
- ARRÊTÉS CONCOURS ENS Yaoundé 2021 1ère Année du Second cycle
- Arrêté Concours ENS de Maroua 2021 1ère année du 1er Cycle
- Arrêté ENS de Bertoua 2021 – 1ère Année Du 2nd Cycle
- Concours ENIET 2021 Cameroun: Recrutement de 5600 Élèves